Paediatric nephrology is the medical specialty that deals with the prevention, diagnosis and treatment of kidney disease from birth (and sometimes antenatal) at the end of adolescence.
Management of children with kidney and/or urinary problems
It is possible to consult a paediatric nephrologist for all diseases affecting the kidneys, such as:
- Nephrotic syndrome
- Rheumatoid purpura nephropathy
- Assessment and treatment of haematuria and proteinuria
- Follow-up of children with a single kidney
- Discovery and follow-up of children with hypertension
- Phosphocalcic balance disorder
- Bone health
Some pathologies require joint follow-up with the urologist and the paediatric radiologist:
- Recurrent upper and lower urinary tract infections in children
- Urinary disorders and enuresis
- Kidney stones
- Cystic kidney diseases: multicystic dysplasia, polycystic kidney disease...
- Follow-up of children during antenatal discovery of pylocal dilation