- Federation of Swiss Doctors
- Swiss Society of Urology
- Germany Society of Urology DGU
- European Association of Urology EAU
- American Association of Urology AUA
- Swiss Group for Clinical Cancer Research
- European Organisation for Research and Treament of Cancer EORTC (since 2014 member of the SPECTA Board of Directors, since 2016 member of the GU-Cancer board and of the Quality Assurance Committee, Coordinator of the translational research platform SPECTApros)
- Society of Physicians of the Cantons of Zurich and Aargau
Urological tumor surgery
Prof. Spahn is an internationally renowned expert in GU-Cancer surgery. His primary emphasis as one of Europe’s leading GU-surgeons is the treatment of genitourinary tumors and reconstruction of the urinary tract with formation of new urinary bladders and continent urinary diversions, as well as the care of unsatisfactory formerly-operated patients from all over Europe. Along with Da Vinci surgery and open surgery he has developed new complex surgical procedures for the reconstruction of the urethra and the urinary bladder (buccal mucosa graft in the reconstruction of urethrorectal fistula, bladder neck closure and continent bladder reconstruction techniques) and the ureter (ileal ureteral replacement).
- bladder cancer (open and Da Vinci cystectomy in male and female patients)
- bladder reconstruction/Urinary diversion (Studer neobladder, continent pouch, ileum conduit
- prostate cancer (open and Da Vinci radical prostatectomy)
- kidney cancer (open and Da Vinci organ sparing partial nephrectomy, nephrectomy including tumor thrombus resection)
- penis and testicular cancer
- surgery on metastases and tumor recurrences
- pelvic exenteration
- adrenal tumor (Da Vinci adrenalectomy including organ sparing operation)
- urethra (end-end Urethroplasty, Buccal mucosa graft and skin graft techniques)
- ureter (including ureteral replacement with bowel)
- bladder reconstruction/Urinary diversion (including bladder augmentation, continent neobladder and ileum conduti)
- artificial sphincter
- Appointment to Professor of Urology at the University of Essen, Germany
- Principal Investigator of the Treatment Arm Radical Prostatectomy of EORTC Study-1414.
- Initiator of the translational research platform SPECTApros (Screening Patients for Early Clinical Trial Access in High Risk Prostate Cancer) of the European Cancer Research Society (EORTC), with the aim of reducing mortality rates of patients with high-risk prostate cancer undergoing radical prostatectomy.
- Admission to the Center for Urology Zurich, the Competence Center for Da Vinci Operations, Urological Tumor Treatment and Reconstruction of the Urinary Tract together with Dr. med. Stephan Bauer, Dr. Martin Baumgartner, Dr. med. Jean-Luc Fehr and Dr. Daniel Seiler. Member of the Prostate Cancer Center at the Tumor Center of Hirslanden Zurich.
- Another surgical milestone: Over 300 radical cystectomies with bladder reconstruction in bladder cancer patients have been performed, further contributing to a unique surgical Curriculum.
- Another milestone in surgery: Over 500 radical prostatectomies in patients with prostate cancer have been performed, which corresponds to a unique surgical Curriculum.
- Award of the Prostate Cancer Research Prize of the European Society of Urology for the development of new prognostic markers in patients undergoing a radical prostatectomy.
- Change to a head physician position at the Urological Clinic of Inselspital Bern, University hospital which is renown worldwide for the development of the neobladder under Prof. Studer (Director: Prof. Dr. med. G. Thalmann). Broadening the competence of the Studer-neobladder replacement. Predominant expansion of the Da Vinci radical prostatectomy. Introduction of the organ-preserving Da Vinci kidney and adrenal gland surgery, as well as urethral reconstruction with the use of buccal mucosa. Establishment of the Prostate Cancer Center and the Center for Uro-oncology of the University Cancer Center Bern.
- Awarded the “European Urological Oncology Award” by the European Urology Society for the initiation of radical prostatectomy as a standard procedure in high-risk prostate cancer and establishment of the world´s largest database of high-risk prostate cancer patients who have undergone radical prostatectomies (n=10,000) (European Multicenter Clinical and Translational High Risk Prostate Cancer Research Group, EMPaCT).
- Founding and development of the Urogenital Tumor Center: The Comprehensive Cancer Center Mainfranken of Würzburg University (Director: Prof. R. Bargou), funded by the German Cancer Society as a Leading Oncological Centre
- A milestone in the surgical field: Over 700 kidney and adrenal gland surgeries have been performed.
- After working for several years in a leading position at Karlsruhe Municipal Hospital, change to Deputy Director at the Urological Clinic of Würzburg University (Director: Prof. Dr. med. H. Riedmiller). The primary emphasis of Europe’s leading clinic is the treatment of tumors and reconstruction of the urinary tract with formation of new urinary bladders and continent urinary diversions, as well as the care of unsatisfactory formerly-operated patients from all over Europe. Along with laparoscopic surgery, radical prostatectomy in high-risk prostate cancer, new complex surgical procedures for the reconstruction of the urethra and the urinary bladder were developed (buccal mucosa graft in the reconstruction of urethrorectal fistula, bladder neck closure and continent vesicostomy). Inclusion in the kidney transplantation team.
- Senior Physician, Head Senior Physician and Deputy Director of the Clinic, Urology Department, Karlsruhe Municipal Hospital (Director: Prof. Dr. med. D. Frohneberg). Focused training on surgical operations of prostate cancer, bladder cancer and renal cancer in one of the largest urological clinics in Europe. Introduction and establishment of laparoscopic resection of the kidney and adrenal gland. Maintained emphasis on operative urology.
- Assistant Doctor, Mannheim University Clinic of Urology, Faculty of Clinical Medicine of Heidelberg University, Basic Urological Training (Director: Prof. Dr. med. P. Alken)
- Assistant Doctor, Urology Department, Karlsruhe Municipal Hospital (Director: Prof. Dr. med. D. Frohneberg). Advanced basic training with particular emphasis on urologic surgical oncology and reconstructive urology.
- Assistant Doctor, Vascular Surgery Department, St. Elisabeth - Hospital Volkmarsen (Senior Consultant: Dr. med. A. Dingel)
- Assistant Doctor, Urology Department, Elisabeth Hospital Kassel (Senior Consultant: Dr. med. J. Frölich)
Schools, university & degrees and diplomas
- 2017 - to date
- Extraordinary Professor of Urology at the University of Essen, Germany
- Associate Professor, University of Bern
- Post-graduate Course “Hospital Management”, University of Bern
- 2011 - 2012
- Private Lecturer for Urology (Clinical and Molecular Characteristics of High-Risk Prostate Cancer), University of Würzburg and University of Bern
- Doctor of Medicine („Neue, mit Wachstumsfaktoren assoziierte Gensequenzen in Ratten Fibrosarkomzellen (Prof. Dr. F. Hölzel)“), University of Hamburg
- human medicine, state examination, University of Hamburg
- “Abitur” certificate, Goethe Gymnasium Kassel
2001 Specialist in Urology
2007 Emphasis in Urological Surgery
2006 King Faisal Hospital, Riad, Saudi Arabia
2011 Military Hospital, Ulm, Germany
2016 Department of Urology, University Hospital Essen, Germany