Heart in rhythm
With its two atria and ventricles, the heart is barely larger in size than a closed fist. Nevertheless, it is one of our efficient muscles. Thousands upon thousands of muscle fibres contract and relax in sync – approximately 100,000 times per day – thanks to an electrical impulse. All our cells and organs are supplied with oxygen and nutrients by the heart thanks to our blood vessels.
Fascinating facts about the heart
Did you know that…
- The heart pumps 6-8 liters of blood per minute through 100,000 km of blood vessels.
- A healthy heart beats 60 to 80 times per minute.
- While sleeping the heart rate decreases to 45 to 55 beats per minute.
- The first heart cell in the embryo begin to beat after only 4 weeks of conception.
- With a life expectancy of 80 years the heart will beat three billion times an pump 250 million liters of blood.