Yoga for pregnant women
What could be better than to feel good in such an important phase of life and to wait for birth in inner peace! Yoga is the ideal preparation for birth for body and mind.
STRENGTHENS AND RELAXES THE LOWER BACK
- Get down on your hands and knees; straight back.
- Breathe out and slowly arch your back (like a cat stretching its back).
- Breathe in and slowly let your stomach sink downwards (hollow back).
- Alternate between the hollow back and arched back positions a few times, while taking deep breaths in and out.
OPENS THE PELVIS AND WIDENS THE BIRTH CANAL
- Stand upright; feet hip distance apart; toes pointing slightly away from your body.
- Perform a slow, deep squat and remain in this position. Keep your feet flat on the floor.
- Place the palms of your hands together; gently press your elbows against the inside of your thighs.
- Hold this pose for a few deep breaths and return to a standing position.
If necessary, you can lean against a wall or hold on to a chair.
THE HALF MOON
STRETCHES THE LATERAL UPPER BODY MUSCLES AND STRENGTHENS THE ARMS
- Stand upright with your feet slightly apart; raise your arms sideways above your head and place the palms of your hands together.
- As you breathe in, slowly lean towards the right side. Hold position for a few breaths. Return to centre.
- With your next breath, slowly lean towards the left side. Hold position for a few breaths. Return to the centre.
- Repeat the exercise once more on both sides.
MASSAGES THE LOWER ABDOMINAL MUSCLES AND AIDS DIGESTION AND BOWEL MOVEMENTS
- Assume a kneeling position, sitting on your heels.
- Place your right hand on the outside of your left thigh; as you breathe in, place your left hand on your lower back; turn your head to the left. Hold this position for a few deep breaths.
- Repeat the exercise on the right side.
If necessary, you can place a cushion between your buttocks and the soles of your feet.
SEATED PIGEON POSE
STRETCHES AND RELAXES THE BUTTOCKS
- Sit up straight on the front edge of a chair; place your feet on the floor.
- Lay your right ankle on your left knee.
- Hold this position for a few deep breaths.
- Repeat the exercise on the left side.
You can adjust the intensity by using your hand to place additional pressure on the thigh that you are currently stretching.