The treatment of conditions and injuries affecting the knee joint is one of the specialties of the Bern Orthopaedics Centre (BOC) at Salem-Spital. BOC’s knee specialists work closely together and cover the entire spectrum of knee surgery.
A major focus lies on sports traumatology and on joint-preserving therapies for malpositions and early signs of wear. The team of specialists has extensive experience in minimally invasive arthroscopic procedures for the treatment of ligament and meniscus injuries. Many of these therapies are now also possible on an outpatient basis thanks to gentle surgical procedures. We also have great expertise in complex reconstructive interventions such as axis corrections and combination interventions. All available modern technologies, including computer-aided three-dimensional planning tools and navigation systems, are available.
A second specialty is the treatment of advanced wear conditions, such as knee osteoarthritis. BOC is one of the largest prosthetics centres in the canton of Bern with corresponding experience and optimised treatment regimens. In addition to the proven manual therapy procedures for knee joint replacement, we also use modern computer-aided treatment methods. Salem-Spital is one of the pioneers in the use of new technologies in Switzerland. Special navigation and robot assistance systems such as the Mako system are available to increase precision and patient safety.
In the field of joint replacement, special emphasis is placed on the preservation of cruciate ligaments and healthy parts of the knee joint. Bern Orthopaedics Centre therefore specialises in partial prosthetics of the knee joint, with a correspondingly high level of experience. The entire spectrum of replacement prosthetics for knee prostheses is also covered. Through close cooperation with other specialist disciplines at the site, even complex interventions and reconstructions can be carried out.
- Arthroscopic meniscus surgery
- Meniscus sutures, meniscal root fixation
- Anterior cruciate ligament
- Posterior cruciate ligament
- Arthroscopic cartilage smoothing
- Cartilage regeneration (microfracturing, AMIC procedure)
- Cartilage transplantation
- Collateral ligament stabilisation
- Axis corrections (adjustments)
- Recentring of the kneecap (MPFL reconstruction, tuberosity transfer, trochleoplasty)
- Medial partial knee prosthesis
- Lateral partial knee prosthesis
- Replacement of the patellofemoral joint
- Total prosthetic knee joint replacement
- Replacement prostheses
- Computer navigation
- Robotic-arm-assisted knee prosthesis
- Patient-specific instrumentation
- Patient-specific prostheses