Medics must hold a specialist qualification in surgery/orthopaedic surgery and traumatology of the musculoskeletal system in order to become a traumatology specialist. Doctors with this specialisation have gained special skills in treating and caring for patients with serious injuries.

A part of their job is administering first aid in emergencies involving serious or multiple injuries (polytrauma), including complex bone fractures, pelvic fractures, injuries to the spine, and abdominal and thoracic injuries. In addition to emergency care and the surgical treatment of serious injuries, the traumatology specialist is also responsible for providing further treatment, treating any consequences of accidents or complications, and facilitating rehabilitation. Patient care is often interdisciplinary with the involvement of other medical specialties such as vascular surgery, thoracic surgery and hand surgery. Physiotherapy or occupational therapy specialists are called in to assist with patient rehabilitation. The traumatology specialist assumes overall responsibility and a leading role within this interdisciplinary collaboration.

Centres 12